Any U.S. citizen or resident alien at least 18 years or older can open a 529 account on behalf of a child. You don’t have to be in the immediate family. There are no age or income requirements or limitations to contribute to the account.
Who can set up an account?
Articles in this section
- I failed the account verification step for setting up my 529 plan account. What do I do next?
- Who can set up an account?
- Can I create a fund if I'm not the child's parent?
- Where can I find my child’s social security number?
- What platforms can I use to sign onto and manage my Backer account?
- Can I add someone else as a manager for my account?
- How much should I save? How fast will my savings grow?
- I was saving for a future baby and now the baby is here! What should I do next?